Monday, September 8, 2008

Mornings with T

This morning: 
Approx. 0615 a.m. 
Scene: K and L sleeping peacefully. 
  Cue lights
After being awakened by an annoying light, I peer towards the source of the light. I see the bedroom door is opened and the light is coming from the living room. A small silhouette is visible in the doorway. I can tell he is taking a second to adjust his eyes to the dark room. He has already walked through the house turning on every light he can find. His eyes are not ready to see in the dark yet. I need to do something quickly or my bedroom light is going to be turned on, breaking the peaceful sleepy atmosphere of the room. 
"Pssssssst", I say.
That is our signal when we play hide and seek. I say,"Psssst" and he comes running to find me. 
"Psssst", I say again. 
I hear him giggle a little and see him walking slowly towards my side of the bed. He reaches up and grabs my arm, pulling himself up. He lays next to me with his stuffed animal Tigger in his arms. 
"Daddy, we can sleep until six o'clock". I have been teaching him to tell time specifically so he will stay in bed until six. He will randomly wake up anytime from 4:30 to 6:30 in the morning, and it can seriously ruin my day when he wakes up closer to the 4:30 time, especially if the I had to be up late waiting for a feed truck for the farm. 
I look over at the clock and see it is already 6:15. "It is already after six T" I tell him knowing that my sleep time is officially over. 
"Oh, Daddy, Tigger is thirsty. He wants some milk." 
"OK, let's go get Tigger some milk."
T and I quietly slip out of the room for our morning ritual trying not to wake up mommy. We close the bedroom door and head into the kitchen. 
Every morning T wakes me up. Sometimes he uses the baby monitor we have in his room, other times he comes and yells at our bedroom door. Today, since the door was open he just came on in and climbed up on the bed. One way or another I get woken up too early. In fact I have not used an alarm clock for a very long time because it is very rare that T sleeps past 6 a.m. 
Once I am awake I get him a glass of milk, and I make myself some coffee. I definitely need the coffee. I am in no way a morning person. Then we turn on one of his favorite TV shows and watch it together. It sometimes seems that he has been deciding all night what to watch. "Let's watch Thomas today", or "Let's watch Cars, put Cars on Daddy." I put on which ever show he has put so much thought into, and I slowly sip my coffee, trying to get my blood to flow again and hopefully wake me up. 
T moves close to daddy, leans up against him. He hugs Tigger tightly while watching TV with his head resting on daddy's arm. Daddy smiles and puts his arm around T. He gives T a kiss on top of his head. They both settle in to watch some quality children's programming. 
  Camera fades to black.
Conversation heard off camera, "What was that?"
"Tigger farted."  Sounds of giggling are heard as credits roll. 

No comments: