Sunday, September 14, 2008

Trip to Grandma and Grandpa's House

Last night T and I went on a little adventure. We headed over to grandma and grandpa's house for the night. My wife was having a group of ladies come over for a Wii night. Wii tends to get loud when you are really having fun with it, and loud doesn't go well with a sleeping toddler. In fact, I believe he would take it as a challenge. Loud is one thing T does very well. Inside voice and outside voice for him really don't have much of a volume difference. So, to allow them to have fun, I volunteered to take T over to my parents with me and the two of us stayed there for the night.
It was a very nice time. We had hamburgers and hot dogs cooked on the grill. T has lots of toys there to play with, including a wooden train set which he loves. Things went along very well for the evening, and right on into bed time.
The morning on the other hand had quite a scare for me. T and I slept in the same guest room. There is a trundle bed, so I had T sleep on the lower bed that pulls out, and I slept on the higher bed. I woke up to T calling out to me in a sad voice. The room was almost completely dark, I could just barely see his bed and I wasn't sure if I could see him on it or not. Then I heard him call out again. "Daddy". Such a sad voice, but it didn't sound like it was coming from his bed. "T, Where are you? Are you OK? What's wrong?", I am asking in a growing panic, not sure where he is now or what is wrong. I climb off the bed and search his bed in the dark, and he is not there. I rush to the light to switch it on.
I scan the room quickly, now that I can see, and I don't see him. "T, where are you?" I am all panicked, and all that starts going through my sleepy head is, am I dreaming? I hear T but he is not here. It is like a dream, but I know I am awake.
"Down here, I'm stuck." He says. I finally zone in on him and realize he is under my bed. I lift the ruffle out of the way and I see him, laying under there, not stuck at all. He has a big smile on his face and he says," I want some milk."
I pull him out from under the bed and grab hold of him in a big hug, and lay back on the bed with him. He has no idea what was going on in my head, nor how much he scared me. I try to explain it to him, but see he doesn't get it and is more interested in why I am not getting him milk yet. Well, then milk it is. I am sure my parents are up, being that I doubt they ever sleep past 5 a.m., and it is 6:00 on the dot. We head out for some milk, and breakfast. (I wonder how long he waited for the clock to have the first number on the digital clock change to  six, or if it was just a coincidence.)
With that scare out of the way, the morning went well. We ate and then went out to the back patio where we soon noticed the donkeys were out in the field that is adjacent to my parents property. T and I went over to the fence to see them, and they came over to see us as well. I petted them, T stared at them from a safe distance, and grandpa came over and fed them carrots. It was a very nice experience for all of us. T came back to the patio after grandpa gave the last carrot to the donkeys and said," I want a people carrot." I guess he didn't realize that those were people carrots, and that we gave the last ones to the animals. The little boy does like his carrots. I guess we need to get more carrots when we go grocery shopping next time. Grandma gave him a craisin cookie to change his thoughts from the carrot, and I packed us up to head home. A successful trip all the way around.

No comments: