Thursday, September 18, 2008

A Baby Laughs, Her Parents Smile

I am at home today taking care of Q. I call her various names when I take care of her; Baby Q, QP, or even Peanut. Usually I try names on her until one makes her smile. Most likely it is the sound of the name, or the face I am making when I say the names, but whatever works. As long as she is smiling I am happy.
It has been three years since T was a baby. I forgot about all of those little, yet very amazing firsts that occur. I remember the big things like when he started to sleep through the night, and when he started to crawl and walk and talk. These were all very big moments in our lives, but somehow I forgot the smaller joys. Luckily, I have QP here to remind me of all the things that made us so happy as new parents. Recently QP has started to laugh. She has been smiling at us for a long time, but now has moved up to being able to laugh at us. I am going to stick with laugh 'at' us, since in my head the baby dialogue is something like:

Us: "Peek a boo!"
Baby: "Does this guy seriously think I disappear when he puts that blanket in front of me? Oh man, that is so funny! Who thinks like that? I am so going to get over on these people when I can talk."

Hopefully that is not what she is thinking, although its most likely true that she will get over on us later. I am definitely not sure how raising a teenage daughter is going to go. I was a teenage son, so, I think I know where his head will be most of the time and may be able to direct him at times in the right direction. A girl however is something different. When I was a teen I was barely able to talk to girls, never mind understand them. I think my wife is going to have to be calling plays at that point and just telling me what to say so I sound smart/hip.
QP also is starting to figure out what her hands are for. It seems to be a slow process, but she occasionally grabs at things now. That is unfortunate for L, who has long hair. QP likes to tangle her hands up in L's hair and pull on it. Now we know that L's screams of pain also make QP laugh a little.
The next  moment I am looking forward to seems like it will be rolling over. She is already attempting it from time to time, she just doesn't quite have it down yet. I expect it to happen any day now. I have learned to be patient though, these firsts only happen once and they give us plenty of time to build up excitement for them.

No comments: