Saturday, January 31, 2009

If I Could Put Time in a Bottle...

Baby Q is just developing so quickly. It is amazing to watch her go from stage to stage. I barely remember T going through all those stages. Time goes so fast that you never really get a chance just to absorb what is happening to them developmentally. It makes me think of the old Jim Croce song called Time in a Bottle. How nice would it be to just bottle up these moments so later, when they are all grown up, we could just go back and relive those moments that flew past us so fast we barely were able to save a memory of it. 



Q is now at full on crawl. She was in the ninja roll stage for the past few weeks or so. It was so funny to watch how quickly she could position her body and then just roll until she got to where she wanted to be. This week she went into a nice full arm and leg crawl and is no longer controllable. It is like trying to hold back the hands of a clock. Put her in one place, wait one minute, pick her up from the computer before she hits the power button. Place her back on the other side of the room again, and repeat. That blue power button light really draws her like a moth to the front porch light. At one point I taped up a protective cardboard cover to stop her, but she just found that interesting and pulled on it until it came down. I guess I like the fact she doesn't let little things like that get in her way. Once she sets her mind on something she is going to have it. She is a very determined little baby. 

The only problem with crawling is that it has a vertical limitation. You can't get things on top of small tables and ottomans. That was great for us, as we would put things we didn't want her to have up higher and she wouldn't even know they were there. Well, I guess seeing us put things up high just annoyed her. She decided the other day that she wanted to play with these things. She climbed over to T's little plastic table, and pulled herself up on the seat, and stood up so she could reach the top of the table. She then proceeded to pull everything on the table down to the floor. I was so shocked to see her standing there that I was running around like a madman searching for the camera to photograph this historic moment. My wife was at work, and I wanted to be able to prove that I saw what I saw. Of course by the time I got the camera in hand she had dropped down to her knees and the moment was gone forever. She is only 8 months old. I wasn't expecting this for a while yet. It shouldn't be too surprising though. On her first day of life she could practically stand. The nurses at the hospital were all talking about how big her leg muscles were and how funny it was that she could hold herself up on her legs and bounce on those unstable legs. We will have to wait and see how long it takes before she is actually walking, but I don't think it will be all that far away. Nobody puts Baby in a corner...

5 comments:

Preston said...

Ah, they grow so fast. I remember when Heather first learned to crawl and now she's 29 so be warned how fast the time flies. (Love the Dirty Dancing reference)

Signe said...

The time with our littlest guy is going way faster than it did with my other 2. It's terrible! I love the baby stage, as hard as it is at times.

Elaine said...

ooo just wait, it happens soooo fast! My kids were fast learners when it came to any physical task! Ethan did push ups before he got crawling down, and I mean full to the ground push ups! Seriously! I have a day care baby that is on the verge of crawling.. fun fun! Oh btw I tagged you.. go see! it will be fun to learn something new!

Nicole said...

Oh, I'm jealous! I wish that I had some of those firsts back... It is amazing to me how fast they grow--seems like one minute you're holding them, rocking them to sleep, then the next they're playing soccer in the backyard--geesh! All that I can say is keep that camera handy--my pictures are so precious! Take good care...

Ryan said...

My 10 month old does laps around the cul-d-sac outside in his walker. Now there's a site to see...