Saturday, January 24, 2009

Tagged Twice!

I was tagged twice. I feel bad that they were both a while ago, but I have been so busy with the farm I haven't been able to do much else. Now I have almost caught up, so I thought I'd take a shot at it now. One of the memes was for 8 Random things about me. Tagged by Lydia @ On the Verge.  The other was 7 Random things about me, tagged BY frogmama @ Frogs in My formula . Now I figure I could either do 7 things, 8 things, or all out and do 15 things. 7 + 8 = 15 I learned that playing cribbage. I chose the middle ground and decided on 8. 

1. I gained 13 pounds when I was out of chickens for five weeks, and now after having chickens for less than three weeks, I have returned to my normal weight already. Chicken farming is a good workout plan. I hate to think what will happen to me if I give up chicken farming. 

2. I am currently obsessed with those darn pecans. I picked over 14 pounds of them (almost 4 lbs after removing the shells) already and had them cracked by a machine. I know there are many more still outside just waiting for me to pick them, but I don't have time. I wonder if the below freezing temps we have had made them useless... Oh that would really make me mad to think I lost all those pecans because I wasted my time working instead of gathering nuts. 

3. When I was 39 and L and I were about to have our first baby I was told I was adopted at birth. So, everything I knew about my family medical history was slightly inaccurate. Within a month I located my biological family and now have two families I can annoy with stories of my childhood. He he he... 

4. Every July I am captivated by the Tour De France. I TIVO the races each day and schedule my days to include enough time to watch them. I know there is a lot of bad talk about the doping that has occurred in the past, and probably is still occurring to this day, but seriously, even on every drug known to man I could not train hard enough to survive one day on a bicycle in those mountains. Add the fact that Lance Armstrong is going to come back this year, and BLAM! I am peeing my pants with excitement already, and it is still six months away. 

5. I think most of the toys and games we get for T are things I like to play. Seriously, I'm 43 and show no signs of maturing into a fully functioning adult any time soon. 

6. I love to learn new things, but have no capacity what so ever to retain the information long term.

-When living in Germany I spoke German fairly well, and could hold my own in conversations with German people, and now, I could at most order some schnitzel and a bier and probably say hello. 

-I minored in Spanish in college and spent several months living and studying Spanish in Guatemala, and now, I may have trouble following along with Dora the Explorer. 

- After deciding not to be a teacher anymore I earned an associates degree in computer science so I could be a computer programmer. Before I finished my degree I found an awesome job in tech support with one of the best companies ever. So I decided not to leave that job when I graduated. Now, I could barely write a "Hello World" program in any programming language. (Hello World is simply writing code to make the computer output the words "hello world" to the screen. It is very simple, and therefore typically the first thing you learn to do.)

- I could come up with many more examples of things I've forgotten, but most of them I can't remember... 

7. Thanks to the Army I can eat almost anything. No, not Fear Factor Anything, but there are very few foods I will say no to. Beets, broccoli, liver, brussel sprouts, all veggies raw or cooked, no problem. Scrambled eggs still runny and dripping off my fork? No problem. Add some Louisiana hot sauce and I am all over it. Once I got the flu right after eating ribs, and had some trouble eating ribs for a long time, but I kept working at it until I could eat them again. You just can't let the flu take away any items from the meat group. It just ain't right.

8. I have had two motorcycles in the past. One was a a Vulcan 750, and the other was a Katana 750. The Katana was my favorite since it was more of a sport bike, and could get up to around 130 mph on a straight away. You know, in case you needed to avoid a car whose driver is reading the news on his laptop with one hand, while eating his egg mcmuffin with the other and driving with his knees. It has nothing to do with a need for speed. Currently I have no time for a bike, and no money to buy one. Sometime in the future though I can see me finally riding slowly down the old back roads of Georgia on a Harley.

OK that's a little about me. Now for the people lucky enough the be tagged, probably for their umpteenth time. So, as always if you have had this one plenty of times and prefer to pass, that is up to you. I only hold a grudge for a short time anyway. Remember? no memory. I'll have forgotten all about it fairly soon, so don;t worry about it. If you do go for it, just leave me a comment so we can all go check your random facts out.

Lola @ Lola's Diner 

Outnumbered Two to One

Farrah @ Wife and Mom of 3

Jodi's Journey 

Signe Says

11 comments:

Random Things | said...

[...] me was tagged by Ken @ Dad to Two with the famous “8 Random Things About Me” meme and it is officially the first tag of the year [...]

Anne said...

That was really interesting. Chicken farming sounds like a better workout than the Wii Fit. Who would have thought. I am so jealous of your pecans. I wish I had anything edible growing in my yard. It sounds like you have an extremely interesting background, living all over the world and doing many different things. It would be interesting to hear how they all led to chicken farming.

Signe said...

Awesome...thanks!
I have a memory issue, too, but mine's a little different. I remember the useless stuff; I'm a fountain of pointless knowledge (like a giraffe's tongue is 18 inches long) but I have no idea where I put yesterday's mail. Go figure.

Lydia @ On The Verge said...

Great list! Thanks for playing along!

Nicole said...

*giggles* That was a fun read--I would totally be obsessed with the Pecans too (that and blogging). I'm 41, and I seriously forget until I look in the mirror and see the beginnings of wrinkles *tear* Oh well, I'll live perpetually as a 25 year old in my own mind! Thanks for sharing... :)

Davida said...

Wow! When you were 39, you found out you were adopted??? I don't know what I would have done in your situation. It seems like you've accepted both families with open arms. I'm glad it worked out so well. Thanks for sharing these things about you.

Davida

PaulsHealthBlog.com said...

While you were in the Army, did you learn to like Spam?

mrsbear said...

I keep waiting for my fully functioning adult gene to kick in but it ain't happening. Good to know I'm not the only one. And liver is heinous, it makes me gag. Thanks for the tag, I can't promise I'll get to it, but I appreciate your stopping by and commenting. ;) Great list.

creative type dad said...

I'm #5 too.
Did you know Lego Bionicles can be purchased for kids as young as 19 months?

CreditCardsOffers said...

Hi, good post. I have been woondering about this issue,so thanks for posting. I’ll definitely be coming back to your site.

JakeHilfter said...

Hi, good post. I have been wondering about this issue,so thanks for posting. I’ll definitely be coming back to your site.