Monday, November 3, 2008

A good bad day

How terrible was my day? Oh let me count the ways:

Problem 1: I went up to check on the chickens this morning and was reminded of a failing relay switch that needed replaced by the annoying beeps coming from the control box. If that switch fails the chickens don't get air, so I decided to replace it today. I dislike it greatly when things go bad on the week end. No stores are open so I am left to patch things together, or find creative ways to work around inoperable machinery until Monday morning arrives.

Begin problem 2: I decided to make it a morning of errands. I went to the first store to return a timer. I had one go bad and they didn't have the same one, so I thought I would take a different one and try to "make it work". Well, it couldn't be done, so I had to return it. I had no problem returning it, so I headed out to the truck to go to the next store. Turn the key, and heard the worst squealing rattling noise you would ever want to hear a small pick up made in the 80's make. I tried several times to get it to start, each time the noise greeted me like a wounded moose shot from an Alaskan helicopter. It was not pretty, and the truck would not start. A helpful stranger walked over from the store and gave it a listen. He immediately looked at me with a that's going to be expensive look and told me it was the starter.  He gave it a few really quick key twists and was able to get it to start. I thanked him, jumped in and immediately headed to... wait, I really need that relay switch.

Add a problem 3: I decided to go to the next store and get that relay switch. I parked in their parking lot and left the engine running. Secretly I was hoping someone would see it and decide to take it home, but seriously, its a chicken farm truck. By the time they sat in the drivers seat the smell would make them fully regret their decision. I headed into the store and got the relay. OK, now head to the auto repair shop and drop off the truck. I called my wife and told her to meet me there so I would have a ride home. Only problem is that when I got there I found a sign on the gate stating they had a family emergency and the shop was closed for the day. Great, now how do I start the truck tomorrow to drive it to the shop? Yes, its an automatic, so I can't even push start it.

Move into problem 4: Once at home I still have to walk the chicken houses. Without a truck its a bit more challenging, but possible. I have a back up plan! I get out the lawn mower and attach the little trailer on the back of it. Only to find the tire on the trailer is flat. Let's not even count that as a problem, since it is always flat when I need it. I just fill it up and its typically good for a day. I go up to the chicken houses, replace the relay switch, and then walk the chicken houses removing the dead chickens. I finished that up in a few hours, and then headed to the pits to dispose of the deceased ones. As soon as I am done with that I notice that the tire is no longer filled with air, but is so flat I am riding on the rim which is totally destroying the tire. There is no fixing that tire at this point. It is still sitting right there at this moment.

I'll wrap up the rest and call it all problem 5: Three stores later and still unable to find a replacement tire. I'll have to get up extra early tomorrow and go shopping in another town. Tomorrow is my day to take care of Q. I have some one who picks up chickens for me on those days and without a truck or a trailer there isn't much she can do. I need to have that fixed before she arrives, and before L goes off to work. Wish me luck.

On the good side, T came home from school before I went to those three stores, so he took the ride with me. It was a lot of fun taking T and his imaginary friends on a tour of hardware stores. It was more fun watching people look at him and wonder why he talks so funny as he changes his voice when he is pretending to be some one else. Oh, he was buzz lightyear, lightning McQueen, Tigger, Yoshi, Zorg, and apparently even himself when he was older. "Once, when I was taller, I had one of these tools to fix the chicken houses on my farm." I know it may look funny to strangers, but I love that little boy and his great big imagination. It made the whole day better. Then we went home, and my wife, who knew I had a rough day, made a delicious dinner for us all. Even Q sat in a high chair at the table and we all ate, talked and laughed. Even on a bad day, it is still good to be me.

2 comments:

Carole said...

Your positive attitude is awesome. Your last line is the best - "it's still good to be me". In this world of whiners and complainers, GOOD FOR YOU for being grateful for what you have! :-)

Preston said...

I'm with Carole! And it's great to see how much you really enjoy your children.