Thursday, December 18, 2008

We Have Everythingitis

The "cold" we have been suffering with just would not go away. One week past, then another and instead of getting better we were all getting worse. Even the baby was beginning to gurgle occasionally when she breathed. L had even decided to let me sleep as much as I could for a couple of days to see if I could get better. That unfortunately didn't work either. I could sleep all the time, but when I woke up I was even more sick than before. Today we decided we had enough of this. L scheduled doctor appointments for all of us.
I went one way, and L took the kids another way to the pediatrician. I waited over an hour in the doctors office, and was about to start licking all of his tools when he came in. He listened to my disgusting list of symptoms and then did a few tests on me, including blood tests and X-rays. His diagnosis: I have sinusitis and bronchitis. I feel relieved knowing that I had something. I was feeling guilty doing most of the resting, trying to get better, and not being successful.  I talked to L as I was waiting at the pharmacy for my long list of drugs. She said T only had a cold. That figures. The carrier never gets it as bad as the rest of us. Q on the other hand had bronchulitis. Only a minor case and should be easily treated with some medicine. Finally, in the afternoon L had her appointment. She also waited an hour before being seen. After all that, she was diagnoses with tonsillitis. The doctor said it was the same thing in all of us most likely, and it just settled in different areas. We all have our own little infections growing in different places. Nice...
The final result is that we are supposed to rest for a few days, and take antibiotics and some other medicines and after a week or so we should be normal functioning humans just in time for Christmas.

Thank you all for your tips and comments wishing us better health. Hopefully now we are on the right track.

21 comments:

Melissa said...

We've got "the gunk" too, but not quite as bad as y'all. Get better Dad to Two Family!!

Nicole said...

Oh you poor dears! Hopefully you'll kick its butt soon... Hang in there--Best!

bisaja said...

I hope you all get better soon!

Ken said...

Thank you everyone for you wishes. You are all very kind. The medicines seem to be working. We are all feeling a bit better today and at least able to get up and move around a little. That is definitely an improvement. Not healthy enough yet to actually catch T as he speeds across the floor racing against some imaginary race cars, but healthy enough to set up occasional road blocks to slow him down. And really, even when healthy, that is sometimes the best we can do.

Preston said...

Thank goodness you don't have to slide around in chicken poop, for the moment anyway! Take it easy and get everyone better. It's no fun to be sick on Christmas. :)

Anne said...

I hope everyone feels better very soon! Rest up, watch a lot of TV and sleep.

Keely said...

Ugh, that's no fun! Hope you all feel better soon!

modernmommy said...

Well, that does not sound like fun. So far we have all been healthy over here, hopefully we do not get anything like this.

Lisa C. said...

AWWWWWW I feel your pain... we FINALLY found out what my girls had... (took them to see the doctors the day after Thanksgiving).. Turns out they got a bout of ecoli... :(..

Hope everyone gets better soon and with as little casualties as possible... Nothing like getting sick and caring for 2 sick kids...

BTW a little love for you at my site.. :)

Angie Atkinson said...

Oh my goodness, this seems to be the thing these days. In our house, it started with my oldest son, who NEVER gets sick...then middle son, then baby daughter. Then hubs and I. Similar symptoms. Glad to hear y'all made it to the doc. We may have to break down and do the same. LOL. Hope you mend well and have a great holiday!

Stacy said...

Oh, can I empathize with you! I caught a cold (Little Princess brought it home from school) and it just would not go away. After about a month of 'suffering', feeling a little better then feeling a lot worse, I finally broke down and called the doctor - I hadn't been sick like that for about two years! Both my Little Princess and I were diagnosed with sinusitis - her 10 day antibiotic took care of it, no problem...I ended up on a stronger antibiotic after feeling worse when the first round was done. Both of us are back to 'normal', which sounds like you guys are well on your way to...just in time for Christmas! ;)

Feel better - and have a Very Merry Christmas! :)

Jean said...

Hang in there, and have a very Christmas.

Toni said...

Hope everyone gets better and you have a wonderful holiday!

Ken said...

So many nice thoughts. With all that positive energy I should be well in no time. The sinusitis seems to have left, but the bronchitis wants to hang on a little longer. Today is my last day on the antibiotics, and it was the strong stuff, so I don't know what happens if it doesn't kill it. Overall though I do feel much better than before. I just have a persistent cough that I can't seem to rid myself of. L still has the sore throat and now seems to be coughing more. So, I am not sure what is happening there. I was hoping we would all be well enough to spend Christmas with my parents and sisters. But, if we can't kick this I don't want to bring them any of this bug. So, I guess we will play it by ear and see if we are going to spend Christmas with extended family or at home with just our little sick family.
Baby Q seems to be doing better. Occasionally she still coughs a little but she is breathing well, and not gurgling any more. So we will just keep her away from our germs as much as possible and hope she just keeps on getting better. Finally, T still has his cold, so we will probably start some medicine for him today. Oh what a wonderful way to spend the holidays...

Johnny LaRue said...

I heard this once upon a time, "It's too cold to be home"

Johnny LaRue said...

All of your illnesses can be traced to one source: UW-Oshkosh!

Johnny LaRue said...

The best cure to be found? Redbreast Irish whiskey from the makers of Jameson. A fine sipping whiskey that does not leave the pallet with an after taste. Slainte!

Signe said...

Oh, yes...tis the season! I support Lysol single-handedly this time of year.
I hope you feel better soon and have a great Christmas!

Anne said...

I hope the lingering cough goes away soon and L starts to feel better. I hope everyone is recovered in time to go to visit the family!

Preston said...

Just dropping by to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a chicken-liscous new year!!!!!! Ho!Ho!Ho!

Itis - ceehrn said...

[...] achy and have urgent toilet needs, and gripy tum neither of us have malaria, or food poisoning, . We Have Everythingitis The “cold” we have been suffering with just would not go away. One week past, then [...]