Monday, December 15, 2008

Fighting the common cold

[caption id="attachment_481" align="alignleft" width="150" caption="Daddy, can you wipe my nose please?"]Daddy, can you wipe my nose please?[/caption]

It seems to be that time of year again. That time where the common cold virus comes crashing through the front door, attached to a preschooler, and wreaks havoc on our lives for a week or so. This years strain seems to be more potent than the previous years. T was hit first, being the carrier and all. That was no surprise. It hasn't slowed him down too much. He still continues to run wild around the house even after continued warnings to slow down and let his body rest. The other night he cam walking into our bedroom dragging about 12 feet of toilet paper behind him. It was 2 A.M. and apparently at that time of the morning it is too difficult to tear the toilet paper into smaller sections. It is also too difficult to pull up a facial tissue from the box I guess. So in comes T with this long trail of TP behind him. He walks over to the side of the bed and hands it to me. He doesn't say a word. I was awakened by the loud foot steps across the house on the way to the bed, so I was ready for him when he got to me. For some reason he won't wipe his own nose, so lucky me, I get to do it in the middle of the night. T's symptoms seem to be limited to stuffy nose. I should add that he inherited an ability to be overly dramatic from me, and can make a stuffy nose seem as if there are only minutes left before the end of the world, and we can only save it by wiping his nose before the final explosion ends us all. Luckily so far we have been there quick enough to save you all from certain doom. You're welcome. 

 

Next to be ravaged by the virus was me. I know I am a terrible sick person and I love my wife for being so patient with me as I struggle noisily and sometimes obnoxiously to survive it. (My ability to be overly dramatic sometimes makes it seem as if the end is near. She must really love me.) I went from sniffles to sore throat, stuffy/ runny nose, headaches, congestion, achy cough, the whole works in about two days and it has stayed with me for almost a week now. -- Financial tip: invest in facial tissues. I will do my part to boost their sales in my area. I can't seem to get enough of them lately. 

L now is also coming down with the symptoms. We are hoping that before hers hits full stride I can get well enough to trade places with her and start doing more things around the house. As of today though, I think that probably isn't going to happen. She seems to be getting it pretty good already and I am still getting worse, and not better yet. 

Sadly, baby Q also has the bug. Nothing worse than seeing a baby with a cold. The doctors tell us not to give children any medicine for colds, and that makes it worse, because all you can do is watch them suffer with it. She has a cough, and a little runny nose. It makes her occasionally grumpy, but otherwise she really is handling it well. She is still working on trying to crawl, and chewing on all her favorite toys. Q has not seemed to inherit any drama genes from me. She is more like her mother. she just bravely deals with it and moves on. She is a little trooper. 

My sympathies to any one else who has or has recently had this bug. Hope you are well soon.

8 comments:

Preston said...

There is nothing worse than having everyone in the household sick, except when everyone but YOU is sick and you have to take care of everyone. LOL Next time you feel a cold coming on, take some Airborne. It doesn't stop it but it does help make it not so bad and over much quicker. Check it out at airbornehealth.com. I swear by it. Gee I sound like a commercial...

Ken said...

Taking Airborne, comtrex, advil, mucinex, honey cough drops, tons of water, and double dosing vitamins. (Morning and evening instead of just morning.) and taking extra vitamin C. If I had anything else in the cabinet I would take it. The good news is it can only last so long. Eventually it will end.

Maricris said...

Crazy the weather is! My daughter had caught the common cold and has made her miserable w/c in turn makes us miserable if not sick! DH is trying so hard to boost his immunity to avoid the virus, I'm just impartial about it! ugh!

Anne said...

I hope everyone feels better soon! Rest up dad to two family and take care of yourselves!

Nicole said...

Oh, man... not good... At least you still have your sense of humor :)

It is no fun with the whole family sick--I hope that you kick it quickly.

One of my tricks is buying grapefruit seed oil and adding a few drops to my juice (you can't take it straight) Anyways--it seems to cut the duration of colds and flu around our house.

Wishing you a speedy recovery! (I'm dramatic, too--go figure!)

clairity said...

Hope you and family get well soon. Pump up the Vit C and keep washing your hands.

insideBuive said...

yo, dadtotwo.com great name for site)))

MoomeDyenry said...

dadtotwo.com - cool sitename man)))