Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christmas

[caption id="attachment_506" align="alignleft" width="300" caption="I'd Give up Chocolate, But I'm No Quitter"]I'd Give Up Chocolate, But I'm No Quitter[/caption]

The night before Christmas,

T and I read the story of the same name.

We set out a plate with cookies and milk for Santa, and carrots for the reindeer, and then put T and Q to bed. 

Being that this was the first Christmas where T actually knew that there were presents for him in those boxes under the tree, I decided to sleep out on the couch as a sentry. I was sure there would be a way too early invasion of the living room without parental supervision, and I envisioned waking up to the sound of toys being raced across the floor and wrapping paper all over the house.

Oddly enough, after all that planning on my part, T was up way too early, snuck past me, went into my bed and slept in my spot. So while I suffered on the couch he slept comfortably in my spot. What is that all about? Then, after he woke up, he woke up L and asked her if he could watch TV in bed. He was quickly distracted by a flash back to a dream he had the night before where Yoshi was at Toads Factory racing on a motorcycle... To avoid the rest of the long imaginary story about his MarioKart Wii adventures, L reminded him it was Christmas and that he had presents under the tree, and maybe Santa had come. That worked, and he tried to rush his mama out of the bed and into the living room. 

His first real Christmas, and he forgot about it! It seems odd that we talked about Santa for so many days and on the BIG day he just forgot and wanted to watch TV in bed. OK, I guess I will get over it eventually. The rest went well. He liked ripping open presents and throwing them aside to say,"What's this one?" as he grabbed the next one. A little depressing for me, but no one said he didn't have some things to learn yet. He is only three after all. 

Q, on the other hand, watched T open her gifts, and taste tested anything put in her hands. Everyday is Christmas for a baby. 

Hope everyone had a great Christmas.

6 comments:

Nicole said...

Oh Christmas memories! Little Katie is three, too--she thoroughly enjoyed every Christmas moment (we did forget the carrots for the reindeer--but I'm not tellin') I'm lucky because Katie sleeps like a rock--no sleepin' on the couch for me... :) Cute stories. Sounds like you all are feeling better--yahoo!

Anne said...

Enjoy the forgetting about Christmas, it won't happen again until he is a teenager (not the forgetting, but the getting to sleep). We were up at 6am and were able to convince the girls to wait until 6:30 am to go downstairs to check out what Santa brought.

Nicole said...

(bestowed an award to you on my blog--Happy New Year's!)

Maricris said...

that reminds me so much like my daughter. She loves sleeping in our bed. Poor you!:) Nonetheless, Happy New year!

stephentan82 said...

Merry X'mas and Happy new year pal.

Farrah said...

LOL Sounds like something mine would have done in the toddler phase. Now I can't get mine to go to sleep so "Santa" can drop presents under the tree in stockings and eat cookies, carrots, and drink milk!! Then I have to be the one to wake everyone up!!