Thursday, March 19, 2009

Reading the longer books.

I am not sure how old kids should be when you move up to longer books. Where is the point when they go from those short books that take five minutes to read and don't require them to remember a story line for too long, to the longer books that you read a little bit each night and they need to remember what happened in the previous nights? I want to call them chapter books, but there are some books that are not quite chapter books yet, but long enough to read over a few days time. The ones I have started reading are Disney type big books. I grabbed Winnie the Pooh last night and T asked me to read that one. I thought I would give it a try. As long as he is a willing listener, I am ready to try it. 

He was a little tired already by the time we started, so he sat quietly and listened intently. I read for about ten minutes and saw that he was looking very sleepy. We were about a quarter of the way through the book at that point. I showed him how to use a book mark to mark your page so you know where to start the next night. I was assuming that stopping a story before the end would result in a little fight, but it went much better than I thought. We marked the page and put the book away. 

The next morning he remembered about the book, and was excited to keep reading. He brought the book out to me and along the way lost the book mark. Not really a problem, since I remember where we were. Unfortunately it was time to get ready for school so we couldn't read it then, but I liked the excitement and told him we would definitely read more of it tonight so he could see what happens to Pooh. Ahh Winnie the Pooh, how you pull at our heartstrings with your crazy antics. Why do you love honey soooo much?

4 comments:

Otter said...

I think you are doing a great thing by reading to your kids but that Winnie the Pooh is out of control. I see him in my sleep.

john said...

Weve been doing chapter books for a while now (my kids are much older) but my little one likes scary books before he goes to bed...(dont quite get it) plus, i cant just finish the chapter, he has to find out what happened, so i have to start the new chapter so he can fall asleep...lol.

Ken said...

Otter, Winnie is all out of control. He just keeps getting into trouble because of his need for the honey. Maybe there is a 12 step program for him to join. "Hello. My name is Winnie and I have a honey addiction problem."

John, I was worried he would not be able to stop without hitting the end of the book, since all other books we read in one sitting. I think I just got lucky that he was so tired that night, and the next night we finished the story, so there was no issue with needing to keep going. Sometimes luck just goes my way.

Rob said...

That is cool you guys are into chaper books. My son likes to read Frannie K Stein (she is a mad scientist) chapter books and he looks forward to bed the next night so we can continue the book. We read just about every night which I thinks gets them into reading when they get older to the point where I think they enjoy it. We read to our 13 yr old when she was younger and now she is a straight A student and loves to read.