Saturday, October 25, 2008

Tagged!

I was tagged by Modern Mommy Blog and I’m supposed to share 7 things about me that you don’t know. That should be easy enough, let's see what I can come up with. And remember, you only get the things my mother can read...

1. I am a closet fan of Miranda Lambert. If someone asked me what I was listening to on my ipod, I probably wouldn't mention her, but when I am not sure what to play I usually pick Miranda Lambert's two Albums. She was a Nashville Star contestant who took 3rd place. I'm not sure who took first that season, but I'll bet Miranda out sells them. 

2. One of my summer jobs for college was working at a company that printed numerous magazines. I worked on the line loading pages into a feeder that assembled Playboy magazines. It was nice, because of all the cologne ads. The place always smelled like Eternity cologne.

3. I have an insatiable sweet tooth that knows no limits. And for that I must apologize to my wife frequently.

4. I taught a foreign language exploratory class for sixth graders in Wisconsin for three years. I went over German, Japanese, French, and Spanish for one quarter each. 

5. I have tried to teach myself to play guitar for almost ten years and never got much farther than Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star,  Row, Row Row Your Boat and Itsy bitsy spider. Luckily my current audience consists of a five month old and a three year old, so I am still good. 

6. I am not sure what happened, or if it happens to all fathers, but the moment I held my own baby for the first time it changed me forever. I have lost some control over my emotions. I cry much easier, I laugh harder, and I have never felt love so strongly. That is some powerful stuff.

7. I once accidentally went into a barbershop in a black community to get a haircut. I was visiting a friend and not familiar with the area. After I sat down in the waiting chairs I realized what I had done. I figured a haircut was a haircut, so I would just stay and get a cut. I waited and I waited. People were coming in and then seated, got a haircut, paid and left, and I still sat there. I wasn't sure what to do. Were they ignoring me because I was white? Should I just leave? As I was trying to decide what to do a nice lady came over and explained the problem to me. Black people and white people have different types of hair. None of the barbers really knew how to cut a white persons straight hair. There was one barber however that felt if I was brave enough he would give it a try. You see, right there I should have left. I understood the problem. It was just a matter of not knowing how to cut my hair, and I was fine with that. I should have said thank you for explaining it to me and walked out, but I didn't. I wanted a hair cut and figured how hard could it be to cut my hair? I thought,"what the heck, I'll give him a try." Well, all I can say is this, if someone clearly tells you they don't know how to cut your hair, believe them. It was the worst hair cut I have ever had in my life. He used the same technique on my hair as he did on the other customers. It was more like shaping the hair and less like the measuring out the hair length with the fingers and cutting the hair to be the same length that I was used to. I hold no hard feelings for that horrible haircut. It was totally my fault for allowing it to happen. My friend who I went there to visit got a big kick out if it. I guess I did too. I received a little lesson in the differences between cultures and have a funny story to tell more than a decade later. I wonder if they still talk about me in that barber shop. 

Here are the seven blogs I am tagging. They all happen to be members of Entrecard whose sites I love and who happen to frequent my site as well. I am looking forward to reading their answers so I can get to know all of them a little better. Also if you are not on this list and want to play along as well, feel free to list your seven things we don't know about you and leave a link in the comments here so we can all go check it out. 

From Melissa's Desk

Small Town Mommy

Hip to Be Mom

Go Graham Go!

The Un-Mom

Our Happy Happenings

Zip 'N' Tizzy

7 comments:

Felicia said...

First of all, I think the Barber Shop experience is hilarious! Props to you for stickin in there!

And..my husband has done the same thing with the guitar he bought. He keeps saying that he is going to sell it..and I keep telling him to hang on to it because maybe Graham would like to play..who knows!

Thanks for the tag...I don't know if any of the Go Graham Go readers will be thanking you though! LOL!

Melanie said...

Thanks for tagging me!! It was fun to read about you.

Ummm- you definitely should have left that barber shop! Hard lesson learned though, right?

clair said...

I tried to learn the guitar on my own too but never got further than 2 chords LOL. Thanks for the tag and I enjoyed reading about you.

Preston said...

Very funny barber shop story.

Melanie said...

I posted mine: http://ourhappyhappenings.com/2008/10/7-random-things/

Anne said...

Thank you so much for thinking of me. I am working on it and should get it posted in the next few days.

modernmommy said...

Very nice list. I especially like the barber shop story. I tend to be a little bit like that too, I make stupid decision because I don't want to hurt peoples feelings when in reality they would not have been hurt at all. I'm sure they got a good laugh at it though!