Friday, October 24, 2008

Rhinoplasty at Three?

Bedtimes are always interesting. You never know what will happen. What excuse will he create today to try to and stay up just a little longer? Here is tonight's story and the solution. 

I read T a bedtime story every night. It is our own little private time where we read, talk and laugh.  We read the stories, and he asks a million questions about the pictures. We talk for a while about the pictures and why the illustrator drew things they way they did. Occasionally, I change the words in the story and he catches me. We laugh, and sometimes he changes it in another way. After the story is done we talk a little more about random things. Tonight he told me a story about The Little Mermaid. It had nothing to do with the book we read, which was about a smelly bear and a fluffy bear. Apparently, the little mermaid was swimming and went down a hole. She was falling down the hole, falling, falling, falling, Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!! Then she fell onto her head. From what I understand she was OK, but then the lava melted her hair and it was stinky. Luckily for me there were several retellings of the story in different ways. All ended up with something being stinky. 

Finally, it was time for me to leave and for T to go to sleep. As I was getting up he told me he needed to have mommy's sleep mask because,"When I am sleeping my nose hurts very much." (L wears a CPAP mask for sleeping to help her get a better nights sleep.) T got up from the bed and started heading out to find his mother. I stopped him along the way and explained that mommy needs that mask, so he wouldn't be able to use it. Yes, I know rational arguments are not going to work on a three year old, and you are right. It didn't. "But I need it!"  He started back towards mommy again. I stopped him again and tried a different approach. 

"T, Let me see your nose." I turned and opened the junk drawer. I pulled out the only tool I could see which was a screwdriver. 

"I think I see the problem. You need a new nose." I said. He looked at me and quickly started to play along. 

"Yes, I think I need a new nose because my nose always hurts when I am sleeping." He started to giggle a little looking at the screw driver. I bought the screw driver closer to his nose and pretended like I was taking the nose off, and then putting a new one on. 

"How does this nose feel?" I asked him. 

"That nose feels better. It doesn't hurt anymore. That's because you changed my nose, right daddy?"

"That's right T. We changed your nose so it won't hurt when you are sleeping." 

And with that, he turned towards his own room and went back to his bed. I tucked him in, and kissed him on the head. "I love you T. I will see you in the morning for milk and coffee.

"I love you too daddy. Good Night."

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Great story!! :) My kiddies have always done anything they can to stay up just a little bit longer, but I don't think they've thought of needing a nose replacement yet. Shhh! Don't tell them! ;)

Lisa said...

Cute story.

The Muse & Lady du Jour said...

Poultry farmers...make the best parents (lol we are too!) LOL
Very sweet blog :)

Elaine said...

That's too cute!!! I like how you came up with a way that redirected him positively and made everyone smile in the end! Good work Dad!!!