Thursday, October 16, 2008

Did He Just Say That?

I think I just lost my first argument to my three year old son. Well, I am not sure it was actually an argument per se. All the same, I am sure I was the one who lost. T was playing a video game by himself, and as usual he was asking a lot of questions as he played. 

"Why is that doggie rolling around?"

"I don't know.", I said, hoping that would suffice.

"Why is that doggie rolling around?", he asks again as if I hadn't spoken.

"The doggie rolls around and runs over the racers. Stay away from the doggie.", I say hoping that a longer answer will work. 

" Daddy, but why is the doggie rolling around?", he asked relentlessly. 

"T, are you listening to me? The doggie is there to make you go slower. When you are racing you want to go fast, so stay away from him.", I say hoping that would finally end the discussion. 

"Why is the doggie rolling around?", he asks. I see now he is playing a game with me and it will go on forever unless the chain is broken. We are sitting side by side on the couch. I lean over to him and get forehead to forehead with him. "YOU ARE NOT LISTENING TO ME ANY WAY, SO STOP ASKING ME ABOUT THE DOGGIE!", I say loudly, laughing as I say it. I assumed this loud comedic response would make him laugh and the string of questions about the doggie would be over. I mean he is three years old. I am his dad. I assume I have won this round and sit back up. 

T looks at me, shakes his head slowly and says, "You are a strange, sad , little man." I looked at L, (my wife), and we both started laughing. I was laughing so hard I was crying. 

"Where did you learn that from?", I asked him as I tried to catch my breath from laughing so hard. 

"That is what Buzz Lightyear says to Woody when Woody was yelling at him." he explained to us. I was just so impressed that he could take a quote from a movie and use it so appropriately in a crazy conversation. Sometimes he seems more like a teenager than a three year old.

4 comments:

Preston said...

Outta the mouths of babes to infinity and beyond! What a cute story.

clair said...

He's so cute :) Looks like you've got a 3 year old going on 18 right there.

modernmommy said...

Oh, that is too cute. I don't know what I would do if something like that came out of Eva's mouth!

Elaine said...

WOW! He's very smart for a little man! Very funny too!