Tuesday, October 28, 2008

From Rolling to Driving

Another stage is passing by. My little Q is now able to roll. It happens so quickly once they get the hang of it. First its rocking side to side, and then eventually they accidentally roll over. From then on the idea of being able to move takes over and that's all they want to do. The last few days she has been working on rolling from her back to her stomach. She has not yet realized she could roll to her back again yet, but it will happen. Before I know it she will be crawling for a day or so, or at least it will seem that fast, and then walking, followed by running. Which apparently  to me hunting her down at bed time to catch her and get her to take a bath. At least that is how it seemed to go with T. Maybe Q will be slower at running, or easier to catch. That sure will make my job easier. I don't remember how fast it happened with T, but it seems like it was it was a matter of minutes of his life that he was a baby. Now he is a full on little boy who stops only when he lands in Time-out. From pre-dawn to post-dusk he seems to be non-stop moving around. I try to enjoy every moment of Q's baby days. I know how fast they go, and how much I will miss the moments we had where we could set her down and she would stay there. Already I can't set her on the changing table without practically grabbing a leg to hold her in place.

Here is what I'm finding out; being a parent is a very sad thing if every time you see your babies you imagine them waving out the car window as they head off to college. I really have to stop doing that and start just seeing them as they are and appreciating these wonderful gifts we have been given exactly as they are right this moment. I try, I really do. It is just that seeing T already almost 4 years old shows me just how fast it goes.Once they hit the next phase, they never go back. T is already almost too big to pick up and hold in my arms. You don't know how sad I am going to be the day I can't pick him up to hug him. See! Already tears in my eyes. I have got to stop doing this. Seriously, I need some kind of MAN pill or something. Next post I will write about something very manly just to make myself feel better.

4 comments:

Preston said...

Hey Ken. I've given you an award over at my blog. Go take a look.

Aimie said...

The stages do go so quickly. They are so hard to let go of. As you watch them mature into older children and see how incredible they are it is worth it.

P.S. I have left you a boo on my blog.

Anne said...

They do grow very fast. It does become easier to enjoy as they become their own people and you are able to have real conversations with them about different things. I am always amazed with some of the things my older daughter says (she is 9).

On another note, it takes a manly man to talk about his feelings and how much he loves his kids. All you need to add is some reference to sports or cars.

Signe said...

Oh, trust me...you are not the only man who's like that! My dh is the same way. It's a sign you're a good dad who's in touch with his kids.