Thursday, February 26, 2009

Books My Toddler Loves

Every night at our house, like many of yours, is story time. Before T heads off to sleep we let him choose a book to have read to him. He has a lot of books to choose from, but usually the cream rises to the top and the same top five stories or so keep getting selected. I thought for today I would just pass along some nice books suggestions that work great for toddlers around three to four years old. 

Tiger Can't Sleep by S.J. Fore, Illustrated by R.W. Alley Published by Viking, a division of Penguin Young Readers Group. A small boy has difficulty falling asleep when the overactive tiger in his closet won't stop making noises. Almost reminds me a little of the old Calvin and Hobbes cartoons. 

The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson pictures by Axel Scheffler. Published by Dial Books for Young Readers. A very smart mouse makes up a dangerous animal to keep from being eaten, only to find himself face to face with the very creature he was describing. great illustrations, and easy to remember patterns in the story telling. It is a little longer, but T almost has it memorized word for word. 

My Lucky Day by Keiko Kasza published G.P. Putna,'s Sons a division of Penguin Young Reader's Group. A little pig "accidentally" knocks on the door of Mr. Fox's house. After being captured by the fox the pig gives the fox suggestions to help make himself a more delicious dinner. Unfortunately for the fox, things don't work out in his favor. I like the little surprise ending to the story. 

A Beasty Story by Bill Martin Jr. and Steven Kellogg published by Voyager Books. A good story for working on dark colors. Four mice go on an adventure into a dark house in a dark woods and come across a beast. They follow the beast and eventually find that the beast is not really a beast at all, but some of their friends playing tricks on them. 

Do Not Open This Book! by Michaela Muntean, Illustrated by Pascal Lemaitre. Published by Scholastic Inc. A great story for kids who always end up doing the opposite of what they are told. This story involves the child in the story and actually helps the author finish writing the book. Very fun to read and T laughs every time he turns the page. 

7 comments:

Preston said...

Heather always loved the Sesame Stree book featuring Grover called, The Monstert At the End of this Book. We read it all the time and every time we read it she loved every minute of it.

Farrah from Wife and Mom of 3 said...

I'm going to have to check out Do Not Open This Book, looks like it would be a hit for my son. :-) Thanks for sharing!

The Mother said...

A Porcupine Named Fluffy. The funniest kid's book ever written.

Ken said...

Preston, I remember that book. That is very similar to Do Not Open This Book!. I should go pick a copy of that one up too. Thanks!
Farrah, I hope you check it out and it is a hit. If not, let me know. Good to know if it is a one hit wonder, or of it has a more universal appeal.
The Mother, That title sounds very intriguing. I am not familiar with that one. Maybe I can add that one to the list of books for T.

Rob said...

My son loves all books it doesn't matter to him, my youngest daughter loves Elmo books and the older daughter loves all books also, she is even trying to read Wuthering Heights so you know she loves books, LOL. I also grabbed your button for my site. Love the dad blog keep it up.

frogmama said...

Thanks for the suggestions. Our tried and true favorites are becoming tired and true--at least for the parents!

A Vecchioni said...

Great article. You do a really good job with summarizing these stories. I'm going to have to pick up a few of these for my nephew. Thanks for sharing.