Friday, August 22, 2008

Double duty

Yesterday, out of necessity I decided it was best to keep T home from school. It was either that or send him to school (preschool) with my wife and try to pick him up from school while carrying the baby with me. For me, carrying the baby around and trying to time the pick up to some time when Q would be awake seemed too challenging. I thought keeping T at home would be easier. Some of these decisions should be better thought through I think.

Taking care of T is a lot of work. When it it is just Q and I for he day it is not too bad. She takes long naps of around three hours at a time, which leaves me time to get some things done. T on the other hand refuses to take naps. He also is a little needy and likes to have your attention quite frequently. That doesn't leave much time to do anything else.

The day did go well though. T was better behaved for the entire day than I could ever have imagined. I had some fears that it may be a nightmare taking care of the two, but it went so well. We played some games, put together a giant kids sized puzzle, and even danced. He found the alarm clock in our room, and played with it until music came out. Then he dragged me over and asked me to dance with him. Kids have so much energy. I tried to dance with him for a while, but it wore me out. So for a short time I sat on the couch and watched as he danced. That takes a lot less work.

Q did her best to keep her schedule. She ate, played with us for a while, as best as a three month old can, and then slept her full nap time. She was a dream. More impressive was that T helped me to keep Q company, watched her for me as I made lunch to make sue she was fine and didn't cry, and just generally acted very big brother like. I was very impressed. My little boy is growing up.

No comments: