Saturday, May 22, 2010

Running

I like Saturday morning runs. I use the treadmill all week, so Saturdays I go outside and do a slightly longer run. Today I ran about 3.5 miles straight without walking, which is my best so far. I am hoping to be up to 4 miles before the 5K on June 13th. That will give me the confidence to run a little faster during the 5K. It also gives me confidence that I will be able to do a 10K eventually. There are not many 10Ks in our area. I think L told me there was one. So, I guess when ever it is, that is when we will give it a try. It is a little scary to think about right now. I don't know that I have ever run 6 miles before at one time. It must be done though. I would love to one day say I ran a marathon. I don't care what time I did it in, I just want to have run one at least once. To get to that point I'll want to have completed a 5K, a 10K, and a half marathon first. I assume this is a process that will take me at least a year to work through, maybe more. I don't know I haven't actually thought the whole thing out yet, but I will.

Good news, no calf cramp during the run today! Thanks all for the advice. I have been icing it relatively soon after I finish a run, and then heating it later on and stretching gently. Works great so far, so I will stick with it. It is a lot easier to run longer when your not worried every step that your calf might rip in half.

3 comments:

Mely Wilcox said...

When you complete your first race it feels great. It gives you a huge sense of accomplishment and it fuels you to keep on running. You'll be training for longer races before you know it. Good luck! :-)

Otter said...

I don't get you running people. I hate it. I firmly believe it is the best exercise you can get, but I hate it nonetheless.

Ken said...

Well, I wasn't too much of a fan in the past. I spent way too much time on the couch watching TV and staring at the computer. I started with the couch 2 5K program that takes you from a non runner to being able to run a 5K in nine weeks. Starts out really slow, like running for one minute at a time and walking three minutes or something like that. By the time you are done you can really see the difference. After your first twenty minute run you will feel a great sense of accomplishment. I am able to consistently run three miles without walking now and am looking forward to the first 5k and already setting my sites on a half marathon in October! It's a slippery slope my friend that starts with a sixty second run. You nay even hate it a little less by the time you finish week nine.